Thoughts on entertainment, politics, technology, and of course, The Dallas Cowboys



MEMO TO: EVERYONE


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



From Mercury News (hat tip Leo LaPorte):

A REMOTE CONTROL FOR HUMANS: JOYSTICK CONTROL LEADS SUBJECTS THIS WAY AND THAT AGAINST THEIR WILL

The technology is called galvanic vestibular stimulation -- essentially, electricity messes with the delicate nerves inside the ear that help maintain balance.

I felt a mysterious, irresistible urge to start walking to the right whenever the researcher turned the switch to the right. I was convinced -- mistakenly -- that this was the only way to maintain my balance.

The phenomenon is painless but dramatic. Your feet start to move before you know it. I could even remote-control myself by taking the switch into my own hands.


Okay, this has so many scary possibilities to it, I don't know where to begin. Imagine being made to fire a gun against your will? Or driving into a crowd against your will? Or this becoming a "date rape" fad?

Sometimes it isn't a matter of asking, if we can do something, but if we should. As always, technology has a good and dark side. And while this development may help those with disabilities lead better lives, a perversion of this technology is something we must all be mindful of.

Remember, the cost of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Watch the video!


0 Responses to “MEMO TO: EVERYONE”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


web site visitor counter
Fast Cash Advances
Excellent excellent excellent!
- Hugh Hewitt

About me

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3